Jönköping International Business School (JIBS) is hiring PhD students in Business Administration.
As a PhD student you will be enrolled in a highly qualified education within a thriving research environment. For more information about our PhD program, please visit https://ju.se/en/research/doctoral-programmes/doctoral-programmes-at-jibs.html.
You will also get many opportunities for enhancing your teaching skills and for personal development. We offer fully financed positions to our doctoral students who receive competitive salaries for their work as employees of JIBS. Most of your time will be devoted to your doctoral studies (80%) which includes coursework and writing a doctoral thesis. The coursework includes both mandatory and elective courses. The remaining time (20%) is allocated for teaching and administrative tasks. There are also opportunities to take additional courses in pedagogics for higher education.
We will hire several doctoral students on a full-time basis (100%) with start from September 1, 2022. We seek candidates who have a strong drive to conduct high-quality academic research within one of the focus areas of JIBS: entrepreneurship, ownership, or renewal and who are motivated to pursue an international research career. Research at JIBS is organized within three research centers and we expect our PhD students to conduct research in relation to these centers, with a particular interest in one of the following areas:
Centre for Family Entrepreneurship and Ownership (https://ju.se/center/cefeo)
- Family ownership and family business, heterogeneity in family ownership and family business. Family business governance, strategy, and organization.
- Meanings and implications of ownership; ownership and organizational goals. Strategy, governance, and accounting across different ownership forms.
- Entrepreneurial life cycle, goals, cognition, emotions, and behaviors of entrepreneurial actors, in relation to family and ownership.
Media, Management and Transformation Centre (https://ju.se/center/mmtc)
- Digitalization and globalization of business practices (such as supply chain management), industries (including legacy and new media sectors), and customer interactions, as well as digital entrepreneurship.
- Entrepreneurship, strategy and organizing for enhanced sustainability, including diversity and inclusion.
- Entrepreneurship, strategy, and organizing in new industries (such as esports and video game development, virtual reality, and artificial intelligence).
Centre for Entrepreneurship and Spatial Economics (https://ju.se/center/cense)
- External enablers of entrepreneurship, such as macro-economic shifts, demographic changes, or crises.
- Regional/spatial aspects of entrepreneurship, including entrepreneurship in rural and urban environments.
- Entrepreneur’s characteristics (for example age, education, gender, ethnical background, ability) individually and/or in founding teams and the performance of these start-ups.
The admission to our doctoral program requires:
- Been (or soon to be) awarded a degree at second-cycle level (Master).
- Achieved at least the equivalent of 240 ECTS credits, of which a minimum of 60 ECTS credits must have been achieved at the second-cycle level.
- Achieved at least 90 ECTS credits in Business Administration.
The main language of research and teaching at JIBS is English. You must be fluent in both written and spoken English to be eligible for our doctoral program.
Please submit the following:
- A letter of intent, answering the following three questions: Why do you want to be a PhD student? Why do you want to be a PhD student at JIBS? Why should we select you for such position?
- A preliminary research proposal (max. 3000 words), describing your present research interest and outlining how you believe your research interest fits to one of our research centers (i.e., CeFEO, MMTC, or CEnSE).
- Your CV.
- Attested documents on relevant background (academic transcripts, degree diplomas, evidence of prior teaching and/or industry experience).
- A copy of your Master thesis (if not finished at the time of application, please send a current draft or an executive summary of it) and, where applicable, other publications.
- A reference letter of a person who can evaluate your academic potential.
- Contact information (name, phone numbers and email) of two additional references.
Please ensure that all relevant documents are in English.
Candidates will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- formal qualification requirements for admission into the PhD program.
- Quality of application documents.
- Academic merits, signaling the potential to pursue excellent research in business administration.
- Personal profile and motivation for further studies.
- Fit with JIBS’ working culture and research areas.
- Fit with one research centre at JIBS (i.e., CeFEO, MMTC, or CEnSE).
The application period is from February 1 to May 15, 2022. However, starting from March 15, the selection process takes place on a continuous basis. This implies that we can offer candidates a position before May 15. All decision will be made and communicated by July 2022, or earlier.
JIBS is a part of Jönköping University (JU). JU is a modern institution, characterized by internationalization and an entrepreneurial spirit. We attract highly qualified, innovative, and enterprising people from all around the world. We develop new knowledge and share our expertise through solid collaborations with industry and business, the public sector, and other higher education institutions. We offer an equal and inclusive workplace, and we welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds. Read more at https://ju.se/en.html